IMPORTANT: Please Re-Enroll Your Washington State Maritime Cooperative (WSMC) Covered Vessels Using the New WSMC Enrollment Agreement
- For WSMC covered vessels that are already in WSMC covered waters as of January 1, 2014, it is important that you re-enroll your vessels prior to January 1, 2014 (or prior to your vessels’ first transit in 2014) if you have not already done so. Please visit the WSMC website at http://www.wsmcoop.org to re-enroll using WSMC’s revised Enrollment Agreement. Just sign the new WSMC Enrollment Agreement and your vessel is covered or continues to be covered in 2014.
- Present WSMC Enrollment Agreements expire at mid night on December 31, 2013.
- There is no fee for re-enrollment and current vessel enrollment anniversary dates remain unchanged.
- WSMC has a new, reduced, rate schedule, effective January 1, 2014, with reduced rates and no subsequent transit fees. If you have already paid a first transit fee then you are paid up for any transits in 2014, until your next anniversary date, no matter how many transits your vessel makes.
- The WSMC Enrollment Agreement is now in full conformance with the IG guidelines. No additional insurance needs to be considered with WSMC coverage.
- The revised WSMC Plan no longer requires “supplemental” resources. Effective January 1, 2014, WSMC will become a member of the Marine Preservation Association (MPA), thereby gaining access to Marine Spill Response Corporation’s (MSRC’s) comprehensive spill response resources in the State of Washington. There is no increase to the WSMC fee for adding MSRC to the WSMC Plan.
- By enrolling with WSMC your vessels have superior coverage in comparison to enrolling with NRC.
- In the event of a spill the WSMC Plan provides:
- 3 times the number of oil skimming vessels
- 4 times the amount of oil skimming capacity
- 1.5 times the amount of recovered oil storage
All for the same cost of compliance
- National membership in MPA is not required for WSMC coverage. A vessel may have either MPA/MSRC or NRC for their national OSRO coverage and enroll in WSMC. However, MPA members who enroll in WSMC will receive a credit on their MPA national dues from MPA for their WSMC fees. Also, WSMC will provide “no cost” coverage in 2014 to any company enrolling a tank vessel or barge that also becomes a new member of MPA for access to MSRC on a national basis.
- WSMC will continue the Reciprocal Arrangement Agreement with Canada, providing free registration for your vessel’s plan coverage in Canadian waters on your transit out of the Strait of Juan de Fuca.
WSMC is a non-profit organization and exists for the benefit of its members.
The WSMC plan provides the very best oil spill contingency plan coverage available,
while keeping vessels in compliance at the lowest possible cost.
Please consider the value and benefits of the WSMC Plan.